Picture this. You’ve had a long day and are just waiting to get home. As you get into your car and turn the key, there’s a slight flickering, but the engine doesn’t turn over. After a few more attempts, it becomes obvious what has happened…your car battery has died. To avoid having a situation like this happen again, the experts at Toyota of Orlando has compiled all that you need to know about your car battery.
Car battery maintenance
Your car battery is one of the most essential parts of your car. It delivers voltage to the starter that gets your engine up and running. So if your battery is not in the best of shape that could prove to be bad news. Here are some tips on how to maintain your battery in Orlando:
- Check the water level – To check the water level, you’ll remove the cap from the refill hole if it has one. Some batteries won’t need to be refilled during their lifetime, so they don’t have this cap. If your battery does need to be refilled, you can add distilled water to the point where it just touches the bottom of the refill hole.
- Clean the battery terminals – Before cleaning the terminals of your car battery, remove the connectors. Then use a wire brush with baking soda and distilled water to scrub them. Wipe off the terminals before you carefully place the connectors back. Here’s a fun fact: you can pour a can of Coca-Cola over the top of the battery to remove and corrosion.
- Coat the battery – You’ll want to coat your battery in grease that is made to resist high temperatures. This is a great preventative measure against rust and corrosion.
Get your battery serviced in Orlando
Maybe you think your car battery is already failing. Some signs of a battery that needs a replacement include:
- A swollen, cracked, or bloated battery case – If you see these symptoms, it’s time to get your battery replaced with a new one from our Orlando parts center as soon as possible.
- There’s a sulfuric, rotten egg smell – This could mean that the battery is leaking. This could cause corrosion and even more problems! You’ll want to bring your car to get Orlando auto service as much as possible.
- Your check engine light comes on – This could be a sign that the voltage of your car battery is going down. Be sure to bring in your car to our Orlando service center to have the battery checked out.
- Your battery fluid level is low – Low battery fluid causes problems when you first try to start your car. Our techs in Orlando can check the level for you when you bring your car in!
Need a battery replaced? Visit our service center at Toyota of Orlando and we’ll help you choose your best option. We’re located at 3575 Vineland Road just off I-4 near the Millenia Mall.